Thousands of Americans are injured in car accidents every day and one of the most frequent and debilitating injuries is back pain. As one of the most common injuries reported, back pain can result even if you were wearing your seatbelt and the airbags deployed. Depending on the force of the impact, one or several parts of your back may be injured.
It’s important to watch for symptoms after being in a car accident, even a minor fender bender. After all, the sooner you see a Dunwoody car accident chiropractor, the better chance you have of recovering quickly without additional complications.
Common Car Accident Back Injuries
Here are the types of back injuries you’re likely to face after a car accident:
- Soft tissue bruising and tearing: In an auto accident, your ligaments, tendons and muscles may become strained, sprained or torn. These are considered soft tissue injuries, which result in mild to debilitating pain.
- Herniated or bulging disc: Various forms of back trauma can cause these injuries to any of your 23 spinal discs.
- Axial burst: The force of an auto collision can cause vertebrae in the cervical (neck) or lumbar (lower back) region to disintegrate, resulting in a loss of mass in these spinal regions.
- Compression fracture: This occurs when the anterior (front) part of the vertebra and spine compress. The compressed vertebra fractures under the pressure.
- Flexion distraction fracture: Most commonly found in victims of head-on collisions, this injury occurs when the upper vertebra and spinal cord bend forward violently on impact. Even with a seatbelt on, the pressure can be so intense that the vertebra fractures.
- Transverse process fracture: When the spine twists well beyond its natural radius, transverse (crosswise) fractures can occur.
- Dislocation fracture: This common situation occurs when soft tissues surrounding a fractured vertebra move into the damaged area.
How a Dunwoody Car Accident Chiropractor Treats Back Pain
At Dunwoody Chiropractic Center, we treat muscle and soft tissue injuries with a combination of chiropractic care and physiotherapy. These techniques help promote internal healing while safely and holistically restoring spinal flexibility after a car accident. Our goal is to help you return to a pain-free life as quickly as possible. Keep in mind that the other back injuries listed here require other forms of treatment.
Do You Need an Attorney?
Our Dunwoody car accident chiropractor offers stress-free guidance following your car accident to help you access the information and resources needed to heal fully without excessive financial burden. We work closely with trustworthy Dunwoody attorneys and can recommend someone qualified to take your case.
Contact Dunwoody Chiropractic Center Today
We’re here every step of the way to help you recover from your auto accident. From the initial consultation to chiropractic treatment to recommended legal representation, we have you covered! Don’t delay treatment – contact Dunwoody Chiropractic Center at 770-504-4266 today to start down the road to recovery